Who we are
'The crux of our mission statement is as pertinent today as it ever was; to enable our patients to live the remainder of their lives to the full, to remain at home if they wish and to die with dignity where they choose' Jurat Jean King MBE, (1939-2012) founder member of Jersey Hospice Care
Our aim is that islanders are enabled to live the remainder of their lives to the full, to remain at home if they wish and to die with dignity where they choose.
Jersey Hospice Care provides specialist palliative care for everyone who requires it, irrespective of cause. As a result, 45% of the patients we now care for do not have cancer.
Jersey Hospice Care is a registered charity and makes no charge to patients. It is estimated that the annual cost to run the charity is in excess of £5.3 million (£14,600 per day). Funding for our care services is thanks to the generosity of islanders.
Jersey Hospice Care provides a range of services :
- Our Specialist Palliative Care team works across Hospice, in the community and in the hospital, providing support, care, advice and complex symptom management.
- The In Patient Unit offers facilities for short stay admission, typically for assessment, symptom management, respite and end of life care. Care is delivered by skilled and experienced nurses, working with other members of the multi-disciplinary team, to ensure a holistic approach to the care of patients and their families.
- Our Day Hospice aims to enrich patient’s lives through individual and group activities. We offer patients and their carers personalised support, whilst empowering them to manage their condition and prevent unnecessary complications.
- The Community Bereavement Service provides free, confidential and person-centred support to any islander who has experienced bereavement. The team also supports patients and their families in a proactive way with the emotional impact of knowing someone is going to die.
- We provide a comprehensive range of rehabilitative palliative therapies, supporting people to live as well as possible, for as long as possible. As well as physiotherapy, we offer complementary therapies that support the well-being of patients and their families and provide treatment and management for all patients experiencing Lymphoedema caused by cancer or its treatment.